Typo in template file caused "counter not found" error

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:52 AM
Edited Feb 9, 2010 at 2:53 AM

Hi there,

I am using the PAL 1.3.5 to analyse some blg log files created from remote servers and I am getting this error and PAL tool exited half way through:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checking "Hyper-V Virtual Storage Device Error Count"...

[DetermineIfCountersAreInThePerfmonLog] The following Analysis is unable to process due to missing counters:

Analysis Name: Hyper-V Virtual Storage Device Error Count

The following counter was not found in the perfmon log:

\Hyper-V Virtual Storage Device(*)\Error Count

All counters for "Hyper-V Virtual Storage Device Error Count" found.

Done determining if all counters needed in each analysis is in the perfmon log...

Done determining if counters are in the Perfmon log.

Organizing data structures. Please wait...

Looking for duplicate counters in counter list...

[GetCountersNeededForAnalysis] No counters in Threshold XML file found in the perfmon log.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further checking the log files I found that it was my mistake.  When generating template files to collect data from remote servers, I mistakenly enter the invalid counter names like below:

\\JAAKVH001\\System\Processor Queue Length

\\JAAKVH001\\System\Context Switches/sec

\\JAAKVH001\\Processor(_Total)\% Interrupt Time

\\JAAKVH001\\Processor(7)\% Interrupt Time

\\JAAKVH001\\Processor(6)\% Interrupt Time

\\JAAKVH001\\Processor(5)\% Interrupt Time

\\JAAKVH001\\Processor(4)\% Interrupt Time

\\JAAKVH001\\Processor(3)\% Interrupt Time

As you can see there is an extra "\" (back slash" entered in the counter name, which I believe is the cause to the "counters not found" error.  Surprisingly the data collection still worked and data did get collected without any issue!!!

Since there is no way for me to redo the template and recollect the data, I wonder if I can manually correct the typos in the counter names in the interim files "_FilteredLogForCounterList.csv" and "_OriginalCounterList.txt", and then resume the analysis process somehow to get the job done?

Regards!

Johnmen

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Yes, you can manually convert your BLG log to CSV using Relog.exe or just modify the _FilteredLogForCounterList.csv file.

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Thanks Clint,  I have two problems:

1. Where should I pause the script run?

I have in fact tried inserting "pause" commands to where I think appropriate in the script, then make changes to csv file when the script paused,  but the script still errored out.  Possibly I paused the script at the wrong place?

1. how do I resume the analysis process after I made changes to the _FilteredLogForCounterList.csv file if inserting "pause" command isn't a right way to go? 

Regards!

Johnmen

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2010 at 6:22 AM

I was referring to making the changes to _FilteredLogForCounterList.csv, then resubmitting _FilteredLogForCounterList.csv as the targeted log to PAL. Sorry for the confusion.