analyse the last x hours and chart series colour

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Hi Clint,

Just a couple of ideas

I think it might be handy to be able to specify a parameter that tells the PAL v2 file to just analyse the last x hours of a logfile you pass it. It is quite typical for us to want to analyse say the last 3 hours leading up to a hang/crash for the circular perfmon traces we have running on our servers. I will take a look at implementing this if you like once the date selection functionality is implemented in which ever alpha you get to it in.

Also having run a number of sets of analysis with the new PAL v2 code it might be good to take a look at the default colours that are used for the charts as some of them are quite close together and if you have a lot of data the dots and dashes can merge to create a solid line which are then difficult to distinguish.

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Good idea. I think the best way to implement this is to have the PAL Wizard UI query the log and get the necessary begin and end datetime stamps, then just pass them into the script. The begin time and end time functionality is already coded into the script, I just need to expose it through the command line arguments and the UI. I'll probably do this on Alpha 4 (next release) or 5. I'm testing out Alpha 4. Here is the bug fixes in it so far:

* *Analysis Interval fixed:* If anything other than AUTO was chosen in the analysis interval field, then the tool would fail. This has been fixed.
* *Output Directory fixed:* Fixed a bug where the PAL Wizard did not pass the OutputDir argument properly.
* *Duplicate Charts fixed:* Fixed a bug where PAL.ps1 was creating duplicate charts.

Regarding the chart colors, I've struggled with getting it as best as I can. The colors I choose are as far apart as I can get them and I'm using all of line patterns (dot-dash) that are available to me. Unfortunately, counters that have a lot of variation in the values take over the chart. Still, I think this is better than PAL v1.x which only plots the averages of each time slice. I'm open to suggestions on the color choices. Keep in mind that I had to choose slightly different colors so that they have enough contrast to the Warning (which is actually an off gold color), and Critical (red) gradients.