Thank you for a very fine tool

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I was looking up to spending days on end in analyzing a ton load of data from a customer system, manually creating charts and interpreting the data.  And then I got PAL working tonight.  And my life has been changed!

I just had to say something here - I think you did a stirling job with this!

I had some issues in running it initially on my primary laptop running Windows 7 RTM, but got it running inside the XP Virtual Machine.  The error spit out in W7 is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PAL\PAL v1.3.5\PAL.vbs(2570, 17) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Subscript out of range: 'UBound'

Do you perhaps know what this is?  I am running the exact same analysis, using the same log file in both cases.

Thanks again man :)

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Hi demonqp,

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you found it helpful. 

I have it running fine on my Win7 (x64) RTM laptop, so I'm not sure why it's not working. The line number you mentioned is an odd one for it to fail at and I'm not sure why it would fail there. Make sure you have the Office Web Components 2003 (OWC11) installed and Microsoft Log Parser v2.2 installed. Also, try running it under an elevated prompt. Win7 doesn't allow apps to write to anywhere other than under My Documents or the %temp% directory unless it is elevated with admin privileges.

If you like PAL, then you'll like PAL v2.0. I will be releasing it next month after the SQL PASS conference. ;-)

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Hi I am seeing the same issue running 1.3.5 on WS03 (x86) SP2. I am parsing the blg gathered on one of my Exchange 2007 CCR node:

SELECT QUANTIZE([(PDH-CSV 4.0) (Eastern Standard Time)(300)], 1438) AS Interval, MIN(TO_REAL([\\GSCMCDP04EXN1\Process(store)\% Proce
ssor Time])) AS min, AVG(TO_REAL([\\GSCMCDP04EXN1\Process(store)\% Processor Time])) AS avg, MAX(TO_REAL([\\GSCMCDP04EXN1\Process(st
ore)\% Processor Time])) AS max FROM C:\DOCUME~1\pengj\LOCALS~1\Temp\{D26AD4BA-0D99-4293-BA54-713E2954BB1E}\_FilteredPerfmonLog.csv
GROUP BY Interval
C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v1.3.5\PAL.vbs(2570, 17) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Subscript out of range: 'UBound'

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2009 at 3:48 PM

If the log was captured on a Windows Server 2008 or greater computer, then Windows XP/2003 computers will not be able to parse them. Use a Windows Vista or above computer to run the PAL tool to process logs captured on Windows Server 2008.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:56 PM

The log is captured on an Exchange 2007 CCR node running on WS03(x64)EntSp2. I just tried to do PAL again on a WS03(x64)EntSp2 server and getting the same error at the same spot.

Here is what I can find in the log before it crashes but not much info as far as I can see though ;-)

[12/17/2009 11:10:19 AM] Analyzing "Msftefd* Processor Utilization Analysis"...
[12/17/2009 11:10:19 AM] [CHART]SELECT QUANTIZE([(PDH-CSV 4.0) (Eastern Standard Time)(300)],1438) AS Interval, AVG(TO_REAL([\\GSCMCDP04EXN1\Process(store)\% Processor Time])) AS store INTO C:\DOCUME~1\RUNLOA~1.PVI\MYDOCU~1\PALREP~1\GSCMCD~1\ProcessPercent_Processor_Time_0.gif FROM C:\DOCUME~1\RUNLOA~1.PVI\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\{07B3FF6E-A3A5-43C9-BE65-62FB146EAAB6}\_FilteredPerfmonLog.csv GROUP BY Interval ORDER BY Interval ASC
[12/17/2009 11:10:20 AM] SELECT QUANTIZE([(PDH-CSV 4.0) (Eastern Standard Time)(300)], 1438) AS Interval, MIN(TO_REAL([\\GSCMCDP04EXN1\Process(store)\% Processor Time])) AS min, AVG(TO_REAL([\\GSCMCDP04EXN1\Process(store)\% Processor Time])) AS avg, MAX(TO_REAL([\\GSCMCDP04EXN1\Process(store)\% Processor Time])) AS max FROM C:\DOCUME~1\RUNLOA~1.PVI\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\{07B3FF6E-A3A5-43C9-BE65-62FB146EAAB6}\_FilteredPerfmonLog.csv GROUP BY Interval
[12/17/2009 11:10:20 AM] SELECT QUANTIZE([(PDH-CSV 4.0) (Eastern Standard Time)(300)], 1438) AS Interval, MIN(TO_REAL([\\GSCMCDP04EXN1\Process(store)\% Processor Time])) AS min, AVG(TO_REAL([\\GSCMCDP04EXN1\Process(store)\% Processor Time])) AS avg, MAX(TO_REAL([\\GSCMCDP04EXN1\Process(store)\% Processor Time])) AS max FROM C:\DOCUME~1\RUNLOA~1.PVI\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\{07B3FF6E-A3A5-43C9-BE65-62FB146EAAB6}\_FilteredPerfmonLog.csv GROUP BY Interval

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:17 AM

Clint - thanks for this great tool! We've collected mounds of perflog data and have always had the challenge of displaying it properly. This is saving us hundreds of hours in work! Thanks.

We actually just implemented a PAL Perfmon archive that runs on automated jobs - and presents a web based historical reference page. We now have a "PAL" farm of virtual machines collecting data from our top 15 most critical systems, and posting the output every 6 hours to a website. You might like to know that your application has officially gone "enterprise" :)

One thing to note though -

The web based output only seems to run properly in IE. I think this is primarily due to the lack of the DOCTYPE definition in the htm output. Where are the html generation components defined? I'd like to tweak that a little for you so it can support multiple browser types (Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc).

Thanks again! I can't wait to see this application go 64-bit!

Coordinator
Dec 29, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Thanks! I'm glad you find it useful. Other companies that I have visited have inquired about how to do mass collection and analysis in the enterprise like what you are doing. How are you collecting the data and kicking off the analysis? Is this something we can add to the code? It's open source. :-)

It doesn't make sense why other browsers don't work correctly. I'm using standard HTML tags in a standard HTM file. I tried this a few months ago with FireFox and it didn't work with the local links. Also, if you are in IE and save it as an MHT file (single file), then the local links are broken.

DOCTYPE definition?

In both PAL v1.x and PAL v2.0, all of the HTML code is generated from the script itself. Just do a search for <HTML> and you will find the section of the script that starts writing the HTM document.

The PAL engine is a script in both PAL v1.x (VBScript) and PAL v2.0 (PowerShell), so it runs as x64 on x64 servers because of the script interpreter. The user interface (PAL Wizard) is just a glorfied batch file creator for passing the arguments to the script. I don't see a need to compile the UI as x64 since it uses a trivial amount of resources. Is there a reason why you need an x64 version?

Thank you,

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone ever figured out the resolution to this error:

PAL.vbs(2570, 17) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Subscript out of range: 'UBound'

I am getting the same here on a Windows 2003 R2 using the IIS template.

Any thoughts much appreciated.