What does blue mean?

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM

In the html report from PAL the yellow, red and green highlights are pretty self-explanatory, but what do the blue ones mean? I cna't find a key anyplace...

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2009 at 5:44 AM

The threshold file owners are able to use any color they see fit. This one just happened to pick blue as an Informational alert - meaning it's just an FYI. I actually get this as one of the most frequently asked questions. ;-)

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:45 AM

I checked the FAQ! Really, I did! Anyway, thanks.

PAL is really a very impressive tool. It helps a self-made DBA like me look like I know what I'm doing!

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2009 at 5:55 AM

I'm glad you like it. I've poured a *lot* of my personal time into it.

Regarding SQL, look for something *special* about PAL in David Pless's presentation at SQL PASS on November 2nd. :-)

http://www.softconference.com/PASS/ProgramSessions/2009/default.asp?SID=174825

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I like it a lot, not only for what it does, but for what it seems to represent. I don’t know you and can’t say for certain, but it looks to me like a pretty clean passion for what you do and a simple devotion to getting something right for its own sake.

It also makes me despair of ever believing *I* actually know what I’m doing J!  But then, I’m a 63 year old former ski instructor and mountain and river guide who just sort of stumbled into database design, development and admin as a ‘real’ career after my body wouldn’t support my former activities L. But still, I know what it takes to achieve excellence and you’ve achieved it with PAL.

Nice work.

Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 10:56 PM
To: rray@xbd.com
Subject: Re: What does blue mean? [PAL:70493]

I'm glad you like it. I've poured a *lot* of my personal time into it.

Regarding SQL, look for something *special* about PAL in David Pless's presentation at SQL PASS on November 2nd. :-)

http://www.softconference.com/PASS/ProgramSessions/2009/default.asp?SID=174825

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (PAL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email PAL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2009 at 8:09 AM

An interesting comparison... when I am assisting customers with software performance labs, I often refer to myself as the "mountain guide" of the lab. I'll tell you to watch out for the black bears and to take the proper supplies, but if you don't listen or go off of the path, then it's your own risk. ;-)

Thank you for the heartfelt feedback. It means a lot to me... *really*.

I've been working nearly *every* night on PAL v2.0 and I can't wait to show it off. I'm just finding small bugs as I go, so it's not ready for primetime yet. With that said, it is far more accurate, has visual thresholds in the charts, and can chart *every* counter in the perfmon logs now. Oh, and it can create new counters on the fly by combining existing counters. For example, I have it generating a % Network Utilization counter which we don't have in Windows yet (I am meeting with the Windows Product team on Friday for getting counters like % Network Utilization added to Windows 8, but that is a different story. Anyway, on top of generating % Network Utilization, it puts visual thresholds on the chart. :-)

The charts are *much* more accurate because I am plotting *every* data point now. In PAL v1.x, I am plotting the average values for every time slice which is not good because if Available MBytes drops down to 3MBs, then you in PAL v1.x you don't see it go down that far.... in PAL v2.0, you see it in the chart.

I don't want to spoil David Pless's thunder at SQL PASS, so I'll leave it at that for now. I can't wait. :-)