PAL stuck at caclulating counter statistics

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:52 PM
PAL is getting stuck for me every time I try to use it. The process appears to be using little to no resources when it gets to this point and never finishes. I've been using PAL successfully for a while (over a year) on this machine, so this is definitely a new issue that has come up. I've tried older versions of PAL as well as the latest (2.7.4). This happens with any perfmon file and threshold I pick. It also happens if I use 1 and multiple threads.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this or what is causing it?

This is where it stops processing:
Quantized index (one time only)...Done!
Matching counter instances to threshold data sources...Done [1.248 seconds]
Calculating counter statistics [very CPU intensive]...
    Number of jobs passed into Thread(0): 18
    Number of jobs passed into Thread(1): 17
    Number of jobs passed into Thread(2): 17
    Number of jobs passed into Thread(3): 17
Jul 31, 2015 at 8:12 AM
GSDragoon wrote:
PAL is getting stuck for me every time I try to use it.
Are you sure is just stuck?
I noticed it got significantly slower especially if "process all counters" is selected.
To give you a rough idea, for a 350MB SQL Server log can it takes more than 15hours on a dedicated 8 core (i7 x920 2ghz 16GB RAM) machine.
Not sure why though...
Jul 31, 2015 at 4:10 PM
I Figured it out. It was the dynaTrace 6.2 .NET agent that was causing the problem. That was the recent change to my machine and another one that had the same problem. As soon as I deactivated the agent, PAL worked fine.
Marked as answer by GSDragoon on 7/31/2015 at 8:10 AM
Aug 6, 2015 at 10:17 AM
Good to know, in my case I don't have dynaTrace so it must be something else that got updated through Windows Update (I'm testing it on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V Host machine used for labs). Maybe some sort of race condition (reducing the number of threads to 1 seems a bit faster but I didn't really measured them).