SQLServer2012.xml does not load in Performance Monitor

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM

When loading other xml files into Performance monitor (System Overview for example), there is no problem.

But loading SQLServer2012.xml does not work. The Template Data Collector Set stays empty.

Any idea to sort this out?

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Still haven't found a way out. Even the template SQL Server 2008 R2 do not load into Windows Performance Monitor.

Can you help or there is no support to this tool?

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM
What do you mean the Template data collector set stays empty? The resulting DCS you make has no entries? Or something else? There is no support no. But I can offer a hand maybe.
Oct 21, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Let me explain you how I did with "SystemOverview.xml".
I use "Performance Monitor" and when I create a new Data collector, I base the Data set on the "SystemOverview.xml" file. So I have all metrics availbale to be captured by Performance Monitor. The output is a "blg" file which contains several days or months of running data collection. I then use this blg file into PAL to generate the graphics and report.

However, when I do the same, but with "SQLServer2012.xml", the new Data collector cannot understand the xml file, and I cannot keep going with the data collector creation wizard.

Do you see the situation?
Oct 22, 2014 at 12:02 AM
I think I see the problem, are you copying the xml, or are you creating one? I suspect you are missing instance name.
Oct 22, 2014 at 7:01 AM

So what you mean is that I need to export the XML from PAL and fill in the instances name in the box that opens before saving the XML?
Oct 22, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Precisely! How does that work for you? Better results?
Oct 23, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Great, you were absolutely right.

Thank you..... I thought leaving instances empty would also make it, but I was wrong.

Great guess....