Great tools

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:03 AM
Thanks for your great tools, it saved lots of work. And is there any file that i could import to check the printer status in the performance log? Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2009 at 8:27 AM
Thank you, but I don't understand your question. Performance Monitor logs do not have any data on printers. Can you rephrase your question? Thank you.
Mar 9, 2009 at 8:37 AM
Thanks for your reply. We have an printer server, we think it meet a performance problem, if you have the threshold file to check the print quene and such as these problem. Thanks.
Mar 13, 2009 at 1:22 AM
perhaps you want to monitor & analyze the print spooler service "spoolsv.exe". Not sure if this is part of any of the standard PAL threshold analysis templates. So you might have to customize your own template to analyze and report on this service.

This thread on templates might help you out:
http://pal.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=50068
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2009 at 5:02 AM
PAL does not do any active monitoring of servers. It simply analyzes perfmon logs (BLG files).

To actively monitor a server, consider WMI or products that leverage WMI such as Microsoft System Center. The Scripting Guys have a great primer on WMI up on msdn.microsoft.com. I would start my search by searching for the Win32_Printer class.

Here is a quick PowerShell line that will enumerate the information about your printers:
Get-WmiObject -query "SELECT * FROM Win32_Printer" | Format-List *