Installing PAL with .Net Framework 4.5

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Is there any way to install PAL with .Net Framework 4.5? We no longer have .Net Framework 3.5 available to us. mschart fails to install with 4.5 and I've read mschart functions are somehow included in 4.5.
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM
PAL just needs the MSChart controls, so it should work with .NET Framework 4.5. I haven't tested it yet. The PAL installer looks for .NET Framework 3.5 though. As a work around, you could install PAL on a test machine, then just copy the PAL install directory to the other system.
Dec 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM
I just tried installing PAL on another machine and then copy the PAL directory to my Win7 64bit machine with only .NET Framework 4.5. When excuting PALWizard, it fails with:
WARNING: Unable to load the Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET
Framework 3.5. These controls used to create graphical charts. Please install
these free controls from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=130f7986-bf49-4fe5-9ca
8-910ae6ea442c&DisplayLang=en
WARNING: If you have installed the Microsoft Chart Controls, then ensure that
the assembly is located in one of the default directories "C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Chart
Controls\Assemblies\System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll" or "C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Chart
Controls\Assemblies\System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll"
Coordinator
Dec 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Hi KennyBryant,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Carl Knox contributed some code recently that might fix this. The code calls for the assembly name of the chart controls instead of a hard coded file system location.
I uploaded a new version of PAL.ps1 (v2.4.1) at http://aka.ms/clinth, and then go to the PAL directory and download PAL.ps1. Replace the same named file in your PAL installation directory. Please give that a go and let me know.

Thank you,
Dec 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Awesome! The new pal.ps1 is working for me with .NET Fremaework 4.5. Thanks so much everyone!