PAL tool hangs at 100% and never creates HTML file

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I have a number of logs from different exchange 2010 hosts, when I run the BLG files back through PAL, it hangs at Analysis progress 100% and never kicks off the report generation phase.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to resolve?

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM
I put in a lot of fixes for this in the latest version v2.4. Try uninstalling PAL, delete the installation directory just to make sure all of the old file are removed and install v2.4.
If you still run into the problem, then send me the parameters and number of threads you are using. As a work around, use 1 thread for processing (default).
Nov 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Hi Clint,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am running the following command with 6 threads. Running on dedicated hardware platform for PAL with 8 cores, HT disabled.

Powershell ".\PAL.ps1" -Log 'C:\temp\Customer-PAL\PerfmonData\ServerName.blg' -ThresholdFile 'C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL\Exchange2010.xml' -Interval 'AUTO' -IsOutputHtml $True -HtmlOutputFileName '[LogFileName]_PAL_ANALYSIS.htm' -IsOutputXml $False -XmlOutputFileName '[LogFileName]_PAL_ANALYSIS_[DateTimeStamp].xml' -OutputDir 'C:\temp\Customer-PAL\PAL-Reports' -AllCounterStats $False -NumberOfThreads 6 -IsLowPriority $False -OS '64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2' -PhysicalMemory '64' -UserVa '2048'

Also, it does not seem to be generating any log files in the working directory, is there any way I can generate a log file and forward this to you?

I will run it with one thread for the time being.

Thanks for your help.

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Hello ,

I have the same problem. I am using v2.4 , I am running the thread Exchange2007-MBX-TechNet.xml. it start parsing the logs and hung at 98%
I saw one error in the middle. I running PAL on dedicated Terminal server . I am using 4 Threads
    [Started] Content Indexing Process % Processor Time
    Unexpected token 'store[0]' in expression or statement.
+ CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (store[0]:String) [Invoke-Expression], ParseException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnexpectedToken,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeExpressionCommand

[Done] Content Indexing Process % Processor Time 
please can someone advice how to solve this

Thanks a lot

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Using a single thread of execution should help with these, but to be honest, I have no idea why multi-threading is not working properly. I can try to debug it if you are okay with uploading your counter log to Email me at if/when you upload the counter log.