PAL Data Collection on Vista or Windows Server 2008

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:22 PM
Hello all,

I am interested in using PAL to analyze performance data from Vista and Windows Server 2008 systems.  As you know the XP/Windows 2003 Performance Monitor has been replaced by a new "Reliability and Performance Monitor".

The procedure I previously used to export the PAL Threshold File (*.HTM) and import it to PerfMon no longer works.  The new performance monitor uses "Data Collector Sets" and the expected data format is *.XML.

Can someone supply the procedure to use the exported PAL threshold file with the new Vista/2008 Performance tool?

Or will it be necessary to create the Data Collector Set in Vista/2008 manually?

Thanks,

Roger
Feb 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM
this is untested, but may work.   if you have access to a XP/Win2k3 box, you could probably export the defintion using Logman

so:

1.  create the perfmon counter collector by importing the HTML file
2,  on the windows 2008 server (or vista) use Logman to export the remote computers counter collection

logman export -n "test" -xml test.xml -s XPClient

(use logman query -s <xpclientname>  to get the list of collector sets that the -n parameter wantrs

now you have the same info in XML format that you can use as a template in the new tool.   or  logman import it

now having said that there may be an easier way!   or a tool that does it easier; but  I couldn't see one in the quick look I had
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2009 at 6:11 AM
The PAL tool does not provide a conversion utility between perfmon log template files between Windows Server 2003 and Server 2008. I will try to put something into PAL v2.0 for this.
Apr 2, 2009 at 4:03 PM
I have tested the steps above with logman.
It works like a charm.
Brinkers thanx
Apr 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM
I did the logman export thing, and that worked great for making a template for Windows 2008.  However, after creating a collector set with the template, and running a collection, when I attempt to analyze the results with PAL, the batch job just sits at the "relog.exe" line for hours, with nothing happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

nbhms
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2009 at 6:32 AM
Be sure that you are running the PAL tool on a Windows Server 2008 server. Relog.exe on Windows XP/2003 is unable to convert perfmon logs captured on Windows Vista/2008.
Jul 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

cmd>
set remoteServer=win2003server
for /f "tokens=1 delims=C skip=2" %i IN ('logman query -s %remoteServer% ^| findstr/R /I /C:"^[^system]"') do logman export -n "%i" -xml "%i".xml -s %remoteServer%

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Hello guys,

Some new about this ???

Thanks a lot!

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Thanks Brinkers, worked for me as well.

However, and as ClintH has mentioned, it won't work if you have PAL processing on W2K3 (we do). We have a mix of 2008 and 2003 servers and I have found that remote collection of W2K8 server counters from W2K3 server works perfect for me, won't crash on PAL processing and you can still use HTML Template. So, as a workarround just monitor your 2008 server remotely from 2003.

Thanks, Alex

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2010 at 3:51 AM

FYI. In PAL v2.0 Beta 2 (not released yet), I added a feature to export threshold files to a text (*.txt) file that Logman.exe -CF command can use. :-)

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:16 AM

I worked around my processing issues by creating a new 2008 virtual machine.

As for log collector templates, open the existing HTML template in notepad and add the relevant branches manually in 2008 then save the template (xml) to use elsewhere!

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM
clinth wrote:
Be sure that you are running the PAL tool on a Windows Server 2008 server. Relog.exe on Windows XP/2003 is unable to convert perfmon logs captured on Windows Vista/2008.

Thanks for the tip Clint, never knew that and never noticed that. But then again, I usually do my PAL processing directly on the system I am collecting logs on. If said system is available for that (and no need to worry about skewing performance data when running PAL or rather perflogging disabled when running PAL), I find that is the simplest option rather than copy/archive the perflog to another location for processing on another machine. Especially true when you have large filesize perflogs.