File eand Folder deletion

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Hi all, i have a strange issue about PAL Usage.  When i import the "Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008" xml template in a  windows2008 perfmon tool and then start it, the counter create a folder with BLG files and other files, then, when i stop the trace, this folder is removed and is also removed all files and folders that are at the some level in the directory.

For example, if i set the D:\ directory as trace's destination, when i start the trace it create a folder, when i stop the trace it delete this folder and all folder files that are in D:\

Is it normal this behavior? 

Thank you for answers!!

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

That is definitely not normal behavior. Performance Monitor data collectors do not delete data. I recommend that you run Process Monitor (http://live.sysinternals.com/procmon.exe) to get a disk IO trace to see what process is deleting the files.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Hi all!!

Phereaps  I have found the issue.

In the xml template there is a tag named "FolderAction":

<FolderAction>        <Size>0</Size>        <Age>1</Age>        <Actions>3</Actions>    </FolderAction>    <FolderAction>        <Size>0</Size>        <Age>56</Age>        <Actions>8</Actions>    </FolderAction>    <FolderAction>        <Size>0</Size>        <Age>168</Age>        <Actions>26</Actions>    </FolderAction>

I believe that this tag execute a file and folder deletion based on their age.

What do you think about this?

Coordinator
Sep 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Sorry, I don't know enough about the folder actions to provide any guidance.