Using PAL with PermonLog

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I imported the Exchange2010.xml on a german server and get a huge blg-file.

I want to use this log for the analyses but only MSExchangeRPC is shown. 

Furthermore I see the info: "Number Of Counter Instances In Perfmon Log: 1".  The Test-blg file is fine...

Any ideas?

Best regards

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM

The counters in the threshold files (in English) must match the counters in the counter log, so that is why it is missing most of the counters. You need to translate the counter log to English first.

Sven Haubold (CC’d) wrote the Perfmon Log Translator (PLT) tool. You can download it from the link below. We published it with the PAL tool a few years ago, and we are working on fully integrating it into the PAL tool soon with Sven’s help. Use the PLT tool to convert the log to English, then run the PAL tool against the converted log. 

Perfmon Log Translator (PLT) tool 

I experimented with full translation (localized) of the PAL reports into non-English languages, but the machine translation was *horrible*. L People have offered to manually translate the reports, but I would hate to ask people to translate the reports each time we make a change to other threshold files, so for now we are staying with English unless you know of a better way.