XP unable to read 2003 server files

May 25, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Good morning,

I've just started using PAL and I'm able to run the files generated by our 2003 server on the server, but I'm unable to get my XP machine to process them. Here's the error I receive on the XP machine.

MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs : ERROR: Not enough samples in the counter log to properly process. Create another performance counter log with more samples in it and try again. Number of samples is: 2 At C:\Program Files \PAL\Pal v2.0.7\PAL.psi:5031 char 30*

MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs <<<< -sPerfmonLogPaths $Log + CatergoryInfo             : NotSpecified: <:> [Write-Error], WriteErrorException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs

I started with a log that had been running for about a week, then I tried one that had been running for 12 hours. I received the same message.

I was under the assumption that XP could read Windows 2003 server files, is this correct or will I always need to use the server? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Coordinator
May 27, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Windows XP is able to analyze log captured from Windows Server 2003, but not from Windows Server 2008 or newer. The counter log looks like it only captured 2 data points which is not enough to create statistics with. Try opening the counter log in Performance Monitor and check the settings of your log capture.

May 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Clint,

I wish it was that easy. The same file that I ran on my XP machine and gave this error, runs just fine on the server. This file has approximately 24 hours worth of 120 second captures.
I love this app, but I can't use the server resources to run the reports, does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks.

Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!

Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!

Coordinator
Jun 2, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Try running it on Windows 7 64-bit. I do all of my testing on it. If that still doesn't work, then send me the counter log and I will debug it.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Hello Clint ... i am woriking on a Counter Log from a Citrix XenApp ... and i try to analyze it with PAL 207 (just downloaded) x64 on my Windows 7 x64 Workstation ... i get the same errorcode as above ... only difference is :

MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs : ERROR: Not enough samples in the counter log to properly process. Create another performance counter log with more samples in it and try again. Number of samples is: 8 At C:\Program Files \PAL\Pal v2.0.7\PAL.psi:5031 char 38*

MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs <<<< -sPerfmonLogPaths $Log + CatergoryInfo             : NotSpecified: <:> [Write-Error], WriteErrorException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs

any idea to get this flying ?

Many thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Try a counter log with at least 30 samples. If you must use 8 samples, then manually set the analysis interval to a time interval that will divide the counter log into 8 equal time ranges.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Many thanks ... will do that !

MichaelEls