PAL 2.0.7 not showing all counters

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I recently downloaded PAL to generate reports on my perflog counters for some SQL server instances. I have version 2.0.7 and have run into an issue. It seems no matter which threshold file I choose, I always get the same report.

I get the following categories in my report:

Memory Available MBytes

Paging File % Usage

PhysicalDisk: Read Latency

PhysicalDisk: Write Latency

Disk Reads/Sec (Stats only)

Disk Writes/Sec (Stats only)

Processor % Processor Time

System Processor Queue Length

I am missing all of my SQL server specific counters. I've tried choosing the system overview and the Sql Server 2005/2008 threshold files. I've also tried checking the "Process all of the counters in the counter log(s)" check box, but I still only get the above counters. I've downloaded PAL on 2 different machines, but still get the same results.

May 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I am also trying to work out why some counters are missing from Exchange 2007 captures (Mailbox/CAS/Hub - all affected).  Everything after \Web Service(*)\*  is missing, along with Network Interface.  I haven't have time to explorer a full list of what counters are set against what is missing.  Is there a limit to the number of counters that can be parsed?

Excellent tool otherwise - if it weren't so good, i would not have spotted this :-)

May 27, 2011 at 1:08 AM

PAL matches the counters in the counter log with the thresholds. All counters in the log that do not match to a threshold are not included in the report unless the All Counter Stats feature is selected. All Counter Stats includes all of the counters in the counter log into the report. If you are using the All Counter Stats feature and still not seeing the counters in the report, then the threshold exclusions might be forcing it to be excluded. For example, the _Total instance is excluded in all disk related analysis because each disk must be analyzed individually. If you only captured the _Total instance of disk counters, then it will be skipped. Ensure you are capturing all counter instances.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I'm experiencing a similar issue. I used the PAL System Overview template to configure the perfmon. When running PAL against the .blg file(s) with the option selected to 'process all of the counters in the counter log(s)'.

As the report is being processed in powershell I receive "Done - Missing counters in log" for anything processor and network related.

If needed I can provide a small log/report for verification. Any support would be greatly appreciated, and I am quite thankful for this software as it has been helpful even without the processor info.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Correct. The "Done - Missing counters in log" means that the one or more of the counters instances needed for that analysis was missing. This commonly happens when only the _Total instance is collected in the log because analyses related to LogicalDisk exclude _Total instances. In any case, I'm willing to take a look at the counter log and confirm for you. Just upload it to my personal SkyDrive at

Thank you,
Dec 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Thanks for your reply. I've uploaded a .blg file, screen shot of settings used to generate report, perfmon template currently being used on the system, and the results of the report. I'm assuming since I'm going by default settings there is something I need to manually configure and haven't.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Sorry for the delay. I looked at the counter log and the reason that the reports are the same is because the only counters in the counter log are operating system related which all of the threshold files inherit from. If you want a more details from the PAL analysis, then export one of the PAL threshold files to a performance counter data collector template and use that template in Performance Monitor on the target system. Later, analyze the resulting log (stop the data collector before moving the file) with the PAL tool and select the same PAL threshold file that was exported from. This will maximize your results. For an example on how to do this, check out my blog entry:

Thank you,