Perfmon Log Translation (PLT) Tool for PL

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Hello everyone.

I wonder if there is any chance to analyze the perfmon log in Polish version via PAL?

Is the PLT able to translate the PL into US?

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

regards,

Tomek

Developer
Feb 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Yes, it does. You only have to add an entry to the PLT-Lang.xml that points to the pl-pl_PLT.xml. That one already contains most of the Windows System Counters. You might need to add application-specific counters manually though.

Cheers, Sven

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:09 AM

I am a newbie and do not know where can I find the files you speak about. Should I create them? Please deliver me more specific/detailed instruction to deal with this issue.

I have only the PAL application installed on the srv, there is no any PLT tool.

Cheers, Tomek

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:37 AM

This is an update for my last post:

I copied the PLT into PAL installation folder and added the pl-pl_PLT.xml input to the PLT-Lang.xml. Unfortunately the analysis output still indicates the regional issue problem. 

I have changed the region and language from PL to the US and it did not make any difference.

Any next clues to be applied?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tomek

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 5:43 AM

Are you gettting the error message about needing to use an English-US locale? If you changed your locale to English-US, then PAL must be closed and restarted for it to get the locale change. If it detects a non-English locale, then it will prevent processing.

Are you getting a different error such as the "Count" or "Substring" error? Are you running the latest version of PAL which is v2.0.7.

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Yes, I'm getting this error about English-US locale. Even after the change I restarted the srv and still encountering this issue. No error like the "Count" or " Substring".

We have the v2.0.7 installed.

The PLT tool converted the log file properly.

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 4:23 AM

What do you get when you run the following command in PowerShell?

(Get-Culture).DisplayName

PAL is running this command and checking if it contains the string 'English'. Here is the function:

Function GlobalizationCheck
{
    $sDisplayName = (Get-Culture).DisplayName
 Write-Host "Your locale is set to: $sDisplayName"
 If ($($sDisplayName.Contains('English')) -eq $false)
 {
  Write-Error 'PAL v2.0 currently only supports English (United States) localization. Please go to Control Panel and change your "Region and Language" settings to be English (United States). We apologize for this inconvenience. Please keep in mind that PAL is an open source project, we welcome help in this area. PAL is capable of non-English languages, but simply needs threshold files written in those languages.'
        Break Main;
 } 
}

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 4:41 AM

User mafalt provided me with code that might work around this by explicitly setting the PowerShell thread that PAL uses to a forced English-US locale if the locale is not already English. If this works, I will post the update and ask for users to test it.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:45 AM

Thanks for your help.

In my case the otuput of (Get-Culture).DisplayName is Angielski (Stany Zjednoczone) that means English US in polish language. I just renamed the string that is checked every time when PAL starts analyzing into 'Angielski (Stany Zjednoczone)'. Now is up and running.

Now it's time to get some conclusions from the PAL output. There are some alerts to be verified. Is there any manual that can help me to do this thing?

Tomek

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2011 at 3:34 AM

Ah, I didn't know it would translate the word "English" to the respective language. Good to know. Thanks!