Template on Windows Server 2008 R2

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I have exported a performance template from the PAL interface using the latest version, and am trying to create a Data Collector Set from it. I have successfully imported it on a Windows 7 machine, but when I try it on two different Windows Server 2008 R2 machines I get an error when trying to import the file: "The file specified does not contain valid XML". Anyone able to provide any advice? I thought this should work in Server 2008. I also tried looking into the options for the logman command but have not been able to find the right syntax to import my template definition, sqlserver2008.xml. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I just ran into this problem as well and just fixed it. Instead of formally increasing the version, I just replaced the v2.0.6 binaries. Please download v2.0.6 again and reinstall.

The problem was introduced when I added the "\Memory\Free & Zero Page List Bytes" counter to the Quick System Overview threshold file. The ampersand (&) character is making the entire XML document malformed. I added code to replace it with the escape sequence "&". I just tested it and it works now. Sorry for the inconvenience. If I had a formal testing staff, then I would have caught this. ;-)

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Cool, I will check that out!