No Thresholds?

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Edited Nov 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I downloaded the most recent version of PAL and am overall very pleased with it. I do have a couple of questions re. the report generated.

Question 1:

When I setup PAL I chose to have all counters analyzed - when the report runs why are there a handful of my counters that show up in the report with no thresholds? The counters without thresholds are:

\Physical Disk(*)\%Disk Time   (all of the Phys Disk counters are setup for 3 of the 8 drives on the server - all where SQL Server files are located)

\Physical Disk(*)\Disk Reads/sec

\Physical Disk(*)\Disk Writes/sec

\Processor(*)\%User Time (which is weird because the counter for %Priviledged Time does show up with a threshold)

Also for these counters there are no descriptions about the counter as there are for counters with thresholds.

Question 2:

In the report where it displays information for the 'Processor % Processor Time' counter there are two graphs. The first has data and looks normal - but there is also an empty graph below the populated one. The empty graph has no time line along the X axis (bottom line). What is the purpose of the second graph? BTW - I just noticed that there are also two graphs (one empty) for the counter 'Processor % Priviledged Time'

Thanks!

EDIT: I am selecting the SQL Server 2005/2008 Template...

Mike

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Question 1:

The counters you mention are there for stats only - no thresholds. The reason for this is because we cannot draw any conclusions on these counters, but they are helpful to have to correlate with other counters. The processors can only be in user mode or privileged mode, so analyzing just priviledged mode is enough.

I'm trying to find some time to overhaul the analysis descriptions.

Question 2:

The \Processor(*)\% Processor Time" analysis is supposed to show a chart for all of the _Total instances (in the case where multiple computers are logged into the same log) and a separate chart that has all of the processor instances. I'm not sure why it would show up as empty unless you are missing some of the processor instances.