For SQL Server and IIS (ASP.NET)

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:00 PM
PAL is really a useful and easy tool. Do you have templates and threshold for SQL server and IIS (ASP.NET)?
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2007 at 12:15 AM
Thanks. We don't have one for SQL yet, but working on it this week, so look for one very soon.
We have one for MOSS which includes IIS/ASP.NET. Just use the MOSS template.

yysun wrote:
PAL is really a useful and easy tool. Do you have templates and threshold for SQL server and IIS (ASP.NET)?

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:43 PM
That is wonderful, Thanks again.

One more question,

How to relate w3wp instance to the application pool name?
For example what is the application name for w3wp#6, w3wp#5 etc?
Coordinator
Oct 17, 2007 at 6:06 AM
Unfortunately, perfmon logs do not contain the mappings of process counter instance names to application pools let alone the process ID's (PID)... by default. With that said, there is a registry key change you can make that will change the w3wp#6 to w3wp_PID. Once you have that information, you can match up the PID to the application pool. Here is the KB article that describes the registry key change:

The Process object in Performance Monitor can display Process IDs (PIDs)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281884

Regarding the SQL threshold file, I'm done with the development of it and it's going through tech review to ensure quality. I'll post it AS IS by the end of this week. Speaking about threshold files, I want to make it clear that while I do my best to make sure they are accurate, I am not responsible for the results of the threshold file! I have many different people working on their own threshold files now and I certainly cannot validate all of them. This is why I always say that PAL is not a replacement for traditional analysis. In the next release of PAL, the reports will emphasis who the creators are of the threshold file, so they both get the credit for creating it and the users can decide if they trust it or not. It's certainly not an issue right now because we have top notch folks working on them, but you never know when a bad one might surface.

Regarding IIS, I'll go ahead and break out the ASP/ASP.NET/IIS thresholds out of the MOSS threshold file and create a separate one. They would effectively contain the same data, but it will make clearer. As a matter of fact, I merged all of the thresholds we have to far into a master threshold file called "All Thresholds Combined", so this would be the one-size-fits all threshold file. ;-)

Also, an Active Directory threshold file is finished and going through tech review as well this week.

yysun wrote:
That is wonderful, Thanks again.

One more question,

How to relate w3wp instance to the application pool name?
For example what is the application name for w3wp#6, w3wp#5 etc?

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:35 PM
Thank you again for your help.