PAL v2.0 Alpha 3

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2009 at 2:58 AM

Sorry for the folks who initially downloaded the latest build of PAL v2.0 Alpha 3. I had a problem with the setup build. It worked fine from Visual Studio debugging. :-) I tested the installer and it *should* work now. I'm excited about this build because it has a GUI now!

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Clint,

The 2.0 Alpha 3 msi is x86.  Does that mean that this version will or will not be able to parse x64 perfmon counters?

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Also, I'm not seeing the BizTalk and SQL Server threshold XML files being installed with this version as well.  Can I simply copy these XML files from previous versions of PAL, e.g. 1.3.5?

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2009 at 5:25 AM

Only the user interface is x86 which works fine on x64. It will parse any counters that are loaded in the perfmon log, so no compatibility problems that I knwo of.

No, the PAL v1.x threshold files do not work with PAL v2.0. I am working with the content owners to convert their respective threshold files. In the meantime, either use PAL v1.3.5 or use the System Overview threshold file in PAL v2.0.

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Okay, will do.  Also, is it possible to do a side-by-side install of 2.0 and 1.3.5?  It seems that 1.3.5 is removed when I install 2.0.

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2009 at 6:39 AM

Thank you for the feedback. Correct, it will remove previous versions. I have the setup project configured to remove previous version, so that if you have an earlier Alpha version, then it would be easily replaced. I've been running PAL v1.3.5 in a virtual PC and PAL v2.0 on my main Win7 laptop in order to work around it. Maybe I can change something in the project to make it unique and side-by-side. I'll look into this. Thank you.