Issue w/Category Counters

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM

First, I would like to say that this is a great tool.

I'm trying to analyse a SQLServer Instance w/a large number of databases, and I would like to create graphs of the same counter for specific groupings of databases.  I've edited the threshold file as below, and I do indeed get a graph for each group/category.  The issue is that each category graph contains the counter instance for ALL databases, not just the ones specified in the group/category.  The Attribute DATASOURCE="\SQLServer:Databases(*)\Active Transactions" is I believe, the problem.  How do I restrict this to the specific counter instances within the named Category, or Analysis Node ?

Thanks

S.

<ANALYSIS NAME="SQLServer: GROUP1 - Databases Active Transactions" ENABLED="True" ANALYZECOUNTER="\SQLServer:Databases(*)\Active Transactions" CATEGORY="SQLServer:GROUP1 - Databases">
    <COUNTER NAME="\SQLServer:Databases(A)\Active Transactions" MINVARNAME="MinSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" AVGVARNAME="AvgSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" MAXVARNAME="MaxSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" TRENDVARNAME="TrendSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" DATATYPE="integer" />
    <COUNTER NAME="\SQLServer:Databases(B)\Active Transactions" MINVARNAME="MinSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" AVGVARNAME="AvgSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" MAXVARNAME="MaxSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" TRENDVARNAME="TrendSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" DATATYPE="integer" />
    <CHART CHARTTITLE="\SQLServer:GROUP1 - Databases(*)\Active Transactions" OTSFORMAT="MM/dd hh:mm" GROUPSIZE="640x480" CATEGORIES="AUTO" DATATYPE="integer" LEGEND="ON" MAXCATEGORYLABELS="0" CHARTTYPE="Line" VALUES="AUTO" DATASOURCE="\SQLServer:Databases(*)\Active Transactions" />
    <DESCRIPTION><![CDATA[Number of active update transactions for the database.]]></DESCRIPTION>
  </ANALYSIS>
    <ANALYSIS NAME="SQLServer: GROUP2 - Databases Active Transactions" ENABLED="True" ANALYZECOUNTER="\SQLServer:Databases(*)\Active Transactions" CATEGORY="SQLServer:GROUP2 - Databases">
    <COUNTER NAME="\SQLServer:Databases(C)\Active Transactions" MINVARNAME="MinSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" AVGVARNAME="AvgSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" MAXVARNAME="MaxSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" TRENDVARNAME="TrendSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" DATATYPE="integer" />
    <COUNTER NAME="\SQLServer:Databases(D)\Active Transactions" MINVARNAME="MinSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" AVGVARNAME="AvgSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" MAXVARNAME="MaxSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" TRENDVARNAME="TrendSQLServerDatabases_ActiveTransactions" DATATYPE="integer" />
    <CHART CHARTTITLE="\SQLServer:GROUP2 - Databases(*)\Active Transactions" OTSFORMAT="MM/dd hh:mm" GROUPSIZE="640x480" CATEGORIES="AUTO" DATATYPE="integer" LEGEND="ON" MAXCATEGORYLABELS="0" CHARTTYPE="Line" VALUES="AUTO" DATASOURCE="\SQLServer:Databases(*)\Active Transactions" />
    <DESCRIPTION><![CDATA[Number of active update transactions for the database.]]></DESCRIPTION>
  </ANALYSIS>

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2009 at 6:50 AM

The DATASOURCE attribute only allows for all instances (*) or one specific instance such as (_Total). Therefore, you could (1) create a separate ANALYSIS for each instance, (2) specify all instances, then use the EXCLUDE node to exclude specific instances (search the threshold file for the EXCLUDE node to see examples), or (3) do multiple CHART nodes each with its own instance.