Author's Picture in PAL v2.0

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2009 at 5:05 AM

In PAL v2.0 Alpha 3, I put a picture of me on the Welcome page of the GUI. I did this because I encouter people all the time who use and love the tool, but didn't realize that I wrote it.

Is it too much? I plan on doing the same for the content owners too. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:11 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I think that would be a nice touch. Just don't go down the route of making it an 'Easter Egg' like the flight-sim hidden in that old version of Excel (and wasting code) ;-) Maybe put it in the help/about section?

Credit where credit is due; this is an awesome tool. I'm still reeling after 'discovering' it two days ago! It's one of those rare cases when you think "this is too good to be true, where's the catch?" but it *IS* true! I still can't quite believe it's free! Much Kudos to you.

I'm still new to performance analysis but this is exactly the sort of thing I've been hoping to find. At the very least it gives people a good head-start to find the "low hanging fruit". I'm sure with more experience it can be used to do a whole lot more (particularly if experts can collaberate and introduce further templates/thresholds). I'm really looking forward to seeing v2.

Now if only there was something similar for analysing sessions in IIS/Tomcat logs...

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2009 at 5:46 AM

Thanks. I decided to go with my XBOX 360 avatar picture with link to my bio that has my real picture. ;-)

Thanks for the kudos!

Actually, we do have a lot of "experts" who are the content owners behind the threshold files. I plan on doing the something similar and having their pictures or "something" to give them credit for their work as well.

actually, I *do* have script that I wrote the analyzes IIS W3C logs in a similar fashion. It was very cool what I could do with IIS W3C logs and it was the inspiration for writting PAL tool for perfmon log. Legally, I think Microsoft owns my W3C script, so I can't post it on this project. With that said, I'll try to add it to PAL eventually.

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:48 PM
clinth wrote:

actually, I *do* have script that I wrote the analyzes IIS W3C logs in a similar fashion. It was very cool what I could do with IIS W3C logs and it was the inspiration for writting PAL tool for perfmon log. Legally, I think Microsoft owns my W3C script, so I can't post it on this project. With that said, I'll try to add it to PAL eventually.

Drool!

Shall I look out for that in v3 then? (I wish!) ;-)

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2009 at 6:11 AM

Microsoft Log Parser is great and was originally designed to parse W3C logs. Most of these queries are already documented within the Log Parser documentation, but here are a few of my favorites that I have in my script. Note, that this requires the Time-Taken, sc-bytes, cs-bytes, and the rest of the default fields to be in the IIS W3C logs.

Total requests count and client IP's
SELECT date,time,c-ip,cs-uri-stem,sc-status,sc-win32-status,time-taken,sc-bytes,cs-bytes from ex*.log to MERGED_LOG.LOG
SELECT count(*) from MERGED_LOG.CSV to IISLOG_ANALYSIS_TOTAL_COUNT_Date_02-19-2009_13-59-10PM.CSV
SELECT count(distinct c-ip) from MERGED_LOG.CSV to IISLOG_ANALYSIS_TOTAL_CIP_Date_02-19-2009_13-59-10PM.CSV

TOP 20 HIT URL's for the site
SELECT TOP 20 cs-uri-stem, COUNT(*) AS Hits INTO IISLOG_ANALYSIS_TOP20_HITS_Date_02-19-2009_13-59-10PM.GIF FROM MERGED_LOG.CSV GROUP BY cs-uri-stem ORDER BY Hits DESC

TOP 10 ASP/ASPX URL's for the site
SELECT TOP 10 cs-uri-stem, COUNT(*) AS Hits INTO IISLOG_ANALYSIS_TOP10_ASPX_HITS_Date_02-19-2009_13-59-10PM.GIF FROM MERGED_LOG.CSV where cs-uri-stem like '%%.asp' or cs-uri-stem like '%%.aspx' GROUP BY cs-uri-stem ORDER BY Hits DESC

Hit frequency each hour
SELECT TO_LOCALTIME(QUANTIZE(TO_TIMESTAMP(date, time),3600)), COUNT(*) AS Hit_Frequency INTO IISLOG_ANALYSIS_HIT_FREQ_Date_02-19-2009_13-59-10PM.GIF FROM MERGED_LOG.LOG GROUP BY TO_LOCALTIME(QUANTIZE(TO_TIMESTAMP(date, time),3600)) ORDER BY TO_LOCALTIME(QUANTIZE(TO_TIMESTAMP(date, time),3600)) DESC

(sc)Bytes per Extension
SELECT EXTRACT_EXTENSION(cs-uri-stem) AS Extension, MUL(PROPSUM(sc-bytes),100.0) AS Bytes INTO IISLOG_ANALYSIS_BYTES_PER_EXT_Date_02-19-2009_13-59-10PM.GIF FROM MERGED_LOG.CSV GROUP BY Extension ORDER BY Bytes DESC

Top 20 Client IP Address
SELECT top 20 c-ip AS Client_IP,count(c-ip) AS Count from MERGED_LOG.CSV to IISLOG_ANALYSIS_TOP20_CLIENT_IP_Date_02-19-2009_13-59-10PM.GIF GROUP BY c-ip ORDER BY count(c-ip) DESC

Top 20 Average Longest requests
SELECT top 20 cs-uri-stem,count(cs-uri-stem) As Count,avg(sc-bytes) as sc-bytes,avg(cs-bytes) as cs-bytes,max(time-taken) as Max,min(time-taken) as Min,avg(time-taken) as Avg from MERGED_LOG.CSV to IISLOG_ANALYSIS_TOP20_AVG_LONGEST_Date_02-19-2009_13-59-10PM.CSV GROUP BY cs-uri-stem ORDER BY avg(time-taken) DESC

Average response time in milliseconds each hour
SELECT TO_LOCALTIME(QUANTIZE(TO_TIMESTAMP(date, time),3600)), avg(time-taken) INTO

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2009 at 6:11 AM

The last query was cut off. Here it is again. It's my favorite out of the all of the queries.

Average response time in milliseconds each hour
SELECT TO_LOCALTIME(QUANTIZE(TO_TIMESTAMP(date, time),3600)), avg(time-taken) INTO IISLOG_ANALYSIS_AVG_RESP_TIME_Date_02-19-2009_13-59-10PM.GIF FROM MERGED_LOG.LOG WHERE sc-status=200 AND (cs-uri-stem like '%%.asp' or cs-uri-stem like '%%.aspx') GROUP BY TO_LOCALTIME(QUANTIZE(TO_TIMESTAMP(date, time),3600)) ORDER BY TO_LOCALTIME(QUANTIZE(TO_TIMESTAMP(date, time),3600)) DESC