One Perfmon template, but multiple report templates?

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:03 AM

Does it make sense to have perfmon use a comprehensive template (say, the full MOSS perfmon template),  but use a trimmed-down version of the report template to only initially report on some items (so not to have a 180 page report) and then if add'l info is needed to go back and analyze the same log file using the full report template?

Or does the report template and the generated perform template have to match?

I tested this and was able to get a trimmed down version of the report as I had hoped to, but I noticed it took MUCH longer to generate the report (55 min for a 12MB .blg file), I didn't pay attention to how long the MOSS template took to generate the report but it was a matter of minutes.

Thanks

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2009 at 4:06 AM

I don't quite follow what you are trying to do. PAL will create a new perfmon counter log with only the counters that it has in the selected threshold file. Next, it matches on the counters, then processes them. Large threshold files take longer because it is trying to look for counters that don't exist in the counter log.

You can disable analysis in the PAL threshold file editor, if you do not want to selectively pick analyses for it to process.