Analyzin response time using PAL

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I have a scenario where I measure response time for a particular operation. As you know there is no performance counter

to capture such kind of data :(. As a result I have manually plot the chart for response time which is tedious task.

I want to plot response time trend using PAL. Is it possible?

Can I manually modify the performance CSV file to include response time data and execute PAL over the file?

Thanks & Regards

Satej C Mirpagar

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:56 PM

PAL v1.x cannot do custom data points.

What are you using to measure the response times of an operation? Disk I/O has Avg Disk Sec/Read which is effectively the response times of the disk.

PAL v2.0 has the ability to create new counters based on other counters and apply your own formula to it, but it must have at least one real counter as an initial data source.

If you are talking about data that you create yourself, then I recommend just creating the chart yourself using the Microsoft Chart Controls via .NET. PAL v2.0 is using the MS Chart controls to create it's charts and it's a free object model.

Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

If you want to create line charts using PowerShell, then let me know. I have a sample PowerShell function that I initially wrote for PAL v2.0.