I'm doing something wrong with CreateAndStart...

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I've been working with PAL on single machines for a few days now, and I want to get the scripts running to aid larger scale deployment. As a first step I'm working on using CreateAndStartPerfmonLogs.vbs on my local machine. I've tracked down a few fat finger problems, but I'm not figuring this one out. Here's the transcript from the command window:

c:\PerfLogs>CScript CreateAndStartPerfmonLogs.vbs INSTRANSIGENT XbDWorkstation c
:\perflogs\CounterList_SystemOverview.txt
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

logman create counter HealthCheck_XbDWorkstation_INSTRANSIGENT -s INSTRANSIGENT
-o c:\perflogs\HealthCheck_XbDWorkstation_INSTRANSIGENT.blg -f bin -v nnnnnn -cf
 c:\perflogs\CounterList_SystemOverview.txt -si 00:01:00 -b 9/27/2009 10:48:30AM
 -e 9/28/2009 10:48:30AM

Error:
The network path was not found.

The script is in C:\perflogs and seems to be trying to run a logman create statement. I can run simple little logman creates from this directory, and I can use the counter list in C:\CounterList_SystemOverview.txt in a logman create of my own. The only two paths I see in the logman call are the one to the location for the new log and the one for the location of the counter list. The counter list is there, and I'd guess logman is going to create the log file? The script is running as admin, so it seems like that's going to work OK.

What am I messing up?

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Hold the phone. For all the eyeballing I did, I must have an error in that call to CreateAndStart... someplace, because I just typed it in again fresh and it worked. I shortened the description argument. Was I running over some length restriction previously?

Whatever, it works now...