Only 1 out of 8 Counters Displayed

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to analyse some logs I've taken of disk performance and I've collected data from eight different counters (Server 2003).  When I run the logs through PAL the only counter that the report talks about is PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Avg. Disk sec/Read.  It highlights some issues that show slow disk performance, but I'd also like to get data about the other counters.  Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks for a great tool!

Nick

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2009 at 5:47 AM

Hi Nick,

PAL should have analyzed each of the counter instances of Avg. Disk Sec/Read and Avg. Disk Sec/Write, but doesn't include many of the other disk counters. If that is what you mean, then yes, that is normal behavior. If you want other disk counters, then you need to edit the threshold file create a new analysis for each of the disk counters you want to see in the report. Thresholds are not required - they will be shown as Stats Only.

If you just want all of the counters displayed in graphs, then try out Bling.ps1. Bling.ps1 is a proof of concept tool I wrote for PAL v2.0. Bling.ps1 will read a perf counter log and just create charts of all of the counters. You can get it at:
http://pal.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=21260

PAL v2.0 has the option of including charts and stats on all counters that are not defined in analyses, so you can see all of the counters. This of course will make the processing take longer. I'm trying to get PAL v2.0 out the door by the end of the year.