MOSS Report not processing

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I am receiving the following error.  Any Ideas where I can start?

Thank you.

[QueryCounterInstanceData] ERROR Number: -2147221020
[QueryCounterInstanceData] ERROR Description: Error parsing query: Log row too long
LogFile "C:\DOCUME~1\lichtman\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\{420569A0-AD59-49A8-8EC4-F53898F03321}\_FilteredPerfmonLog.csv", Row number 1 [Unknown Error]
C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v1.3.5\PAL.vbs(2787, 25) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Object required: 'oAlert'

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:37 AM

This is the dreaded "Log row too long" error reported from Microsoft Log Parser. It effectively means that there is too many counter instances in the perfmon log for it to process. PAL automatically filters the perfmon log to reduce the number of counter instances in it, but when one of the analyses uses the Process object, then it allows all of those counter intances stay in the log. You can solve this by running the log through the Quick System Overview threshold file which filters out the Process counter object, or you can edit the threshold file using the PAL threshold file editor and disabling any analysis that uses the Process counter object.

Hopefully, I have solved this problem in PAL v2.0. In PAL v2.0, I am no longer using Log Parser and relying on PowerShell's parsing engine instead which I hope scales better than Log Parser.