produce the logs automatically

May 26, 2009 at 6:36 AM

Hello Everyone, I'm a new guy with PAL. I have a PAl server collecting all the blg files from servers in my company. I want the PAL server to produce the logs automatically, how could I do? The type of filename is yyyymmdd, so the filename of blg is like 'Exchange_20090526'. How could I make the filename as a variable and fill in the command as 'CScript PAL.vbs" /LOG:"C:\Exchange_20090526.blg" /THRESHOLDFILE:"C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL v1.3.4.3\SystemOverview.xml" /INTERVAL:"AUTO" /ISOUTPUTHTML:True /ISOUTPUTXML:False /OUTPUTDIR:"e:\PAL Reports" /HTMLOUTPUTFILENAME:"[LogFileName]_PAL_ANALYSIS_[DateTimeStamp]_[GUID].htm" /NumberOfProcessors:4 /SixtyFourBit:False /ThreeGBSwitch:False /TotalMemory:4 /KernelDumpOnCDrive:True'?

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Sean

Coordinator
May 27, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Hi Sean,

PAL is not designed to gather performance monitor logs. It's a post analysis tool which assumes that you do not have any connectivity to the server where the log was originally captured. With that said, automatic gathering of performance counter logs is highly requested feature that I eventually want to add to the tool. It's on my To Do list. ;-)

Currently, I am rewriting the PAL tool in PowerShell (PAL v2.0) and it will not have a UI for it for a long while. In the meantime, PAL v1.x ships with a PerfmonLogScripts directory in it's installation directory. These scripts can be used to create, stop/start, and gather perf counter logs on many servers.

The PAL UI is effectively a batch file creator that populates a batch file with the PAL.vbs arguments. You could certainly save the batch files that PAL creates in your %temp% directory and use the batch file arguements as a variable for the /LOG: parameter.