Error when running custom threshold file

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Hi,

Love this tool so far and looks like it will be able to do what I need it to. However, I'm having an issue with custom threshold file. I've created one with 4 counters (Memory - Pages Per Sec, PhysicalDisk(All Instances)\Avg. Disk Queue Length, Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time, and System\Processor Queue Length). I've set what I think to be appropriate thresholds and charts, but in running the queue, I get the error message attached:

CheckPalXmlThresholdFileVersion : The threshold file specified is not compatibl
e with PAL v2.0.
At C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL.ps1:1613 char:36
  • CheckPalXmlThresholdFileVersion <<<< -XmlThresholdFile $XmlThresholdFile
    • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep
      tion
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio
      n,CheckPalXmlThresholdFileVersion
Any Ideas? Thanks for any help you can lend.
Nov 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM
smitty451 wrote:
Hi,

Love this tool so far and looks like it will be able to do what I need it to. However, I'm having an issue with custom threshold file. I've created one with 4 counters (Memory - Pages Per Sec, PhysicalDisk(All Instances)\Avg. Disk Queue Length, Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time, and System\Processor Queue Length). I've set what I think to be appropriate thresholds and charts, but in running the queue, I get the error message attached:

CheckPalXmlThresholdFileVersion : The threshold file specified is not compatibl
e with PAL v2.0.
At C:\Program Files\PAL\PAL.ps1:1613 char:36
  • CheckPalXmlThresholdFileVersion <<<< -XmlThresholdFile $XmlThresholdFile
    • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep
      tion
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio
      n,CheckPalXmlThresholdFileVersion
Any Ideas? Thanks for any help you can lend.
So I figured out the version issue, needed to add the PAL Version="2.0" into the XML file. Is this not normally added to the a custom threshold file, so that we have to manually add it?
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Yes, this is a bug in the editor that I've been meaning to fix and I'm very sorry that you had to figure that out on your own. I had to add a PALVERSION attribute because the threshold files of PAL 1.x are not compatible with PAL 2.x.

I have a blog entry about how to create threshold files for PAL at:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/clinth/archive/2013/01/08/how-to-create-a-threshold-file-for-the-pal-tool.aspx

I will update it with the PALVERSION information.

Please let me know if you have other questions.
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Okay, I updated my blog entry with the following:

PAL version is incompatible

If you receive the following error, “CheckPalXmlThresholdFileVersion : The threshold file specified is not compatible with PAL v2.0”, then the threshold file is missing the PALVERSION attribute. This is a bug with the editor. Open the threshold file in an XML or text editor and add the XML attribute PALVERSION to the PAL XML node with a value of “2.0”. It should look similar to this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<PAL PALVERSION="2.0" NAME="Quick System Overview" …

Save the threshold file and try again. This was discussed on the PAL forum at:
https://pal.codeplex.com/discussions/468305