Is the .ETL file needed for a report?

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM
It seems all you need is a .blg perfmon file to create a good report. Is there any reason why I need the .ETL (kernel trace) file when I'm creating a log collectioin? (this thing is huge!)

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Hi locobox,

The PAL tool is currently designed to only analyze performance counter logs in binary (.blg) or comma separated values (.csv) format. In the future, I would like to analyze ETL traces as well as Event Logs and W3C logs, but I just haven't made the time to do it yet.

In the meantime, I encourage you to use the Windows Performance Analyzer (WPA) tool to analyze the ETL trace. WPA is part of the Windows ADK at:

When installing the Windows ADK. Uncheck all of the options except for Windows Performance ToolKit. Once installed. Run the Windows Performance Analyzer and open the ETL trace. WPA does not analyze the trace for you, but it presents the data in a way to make it much easier to look at the data.

My organization, Microsoft Global Business Support (GBS) offers a "chalk talk" workshop called, "Vital Signs Advanced" which covers how to analyze ETL traces using WPA. If your company has a Microsoft Premier Support Contract, then please ask your Technical Account Manager (TAM) about the workshop. To learn more about Microsoft Premier Support contracts, please go to

Thank you,