'System.OutOfMemoryException'

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Hi Clint,

Have needed to use PAL lately and all of a sudden, on v5.6.2 and 3 have been seeing alot of OutOfMemory issues.
I'm running PAL on single 3.8Cpu with 12 cores and 16gb Ram.
When adding the counters stage starts, the memory consumption climbs until there is no more.
Any ideas on what could be done to limit the memory consumption???
At the moment, I'm running a analysis with 1 process and the powershell process seems to be steady at 10.2Gb, but has been running for hours. The tsv is 400mb for a 6hour period with 5s sampling and counters for quickSystemAnalysis.
I think there is, just can't recall it.
Thank you and Regards.
Coordinator
Sep 17, 2013 at 7:25 AM
If on 32-bit Windows or Windows Server, then consider running PAL on a 64-bit version of Windows or Windows Server. This is important due to the 2 GB virtual address space limit that 32-bit applications have - nothing to do with physical memory or paging files.

If 64-bit, then that is quite a bit of memory usage. First, consider running it with a single thread. Each thread multiplies the memory usage because I have to make a copy of the counter data in each Powershell session spawned off as a "thread". If is still runs out, then the system commit charge might be reaching the system commit limit. If this is the case, consider increasing the page file. With that said, I can't imagine PAL needing that much memory.

If you are running PAL as multi-threaded, then it might just be hanging due to a bug in that code. I'm fixing it in v2.4.

I'm only up to v2.3.6, so I'm not sure where you got the v5.6.2 version.

Running Quick System Overview is the "quickest", but it looks like you are already trying that.

If you still can't get it to work, then zip up the counter log and send it to me. I'll debug it.
Oct 17, 2015 at 9:25 AM
I think it would be really helpful if you would add this as a hint to the wizard. Or better yet would be to give a warning based on the amount of fysical memory in the local machine & size of the log file before starting.

I've been running PAL now many times on a large log file, and am running out of physical memory every time.