Not enough samples in counter log

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Hi, I ran perfmon on 2 systems by selecting various counters like processor, process, cache and few others and configured time interval as 15min. But while analyzing the logs through PAL i am getting below error. I tried increasing the time to half hour but still getting similar error. I then explored little bit and noticed that the SystemOverview.xml file has only "process" conters in it. So is it the cause that it is not able to extract information from other counters, if yes then please provide an updated one having all of the counters like memory, processor etc.

Output

File: C:\Users\test\AppData\Local\Temp{8e950682-5eb1-4bb6-b313-e36c8e5
717ea}_FilteredPerfmonLog.csv
Begin: 8/20/2013 13:12:14
End: 8/20/2013 13:27:14
Samples: 2
The command completed successfully.
MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs : ERROR: Not enough samples in the counter log to
properly process. Create another performance counter log with more samples in
it and try again. Number of samples is: 2
At C:\Program Files (x86)\PAL\PAL\PAL.ps1:5334 char:42
  • MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs <<<< -sPerfmonLogPaths $Log
    • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep
      tion
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio
      n,MergeConvertFilterPerfmonLogs
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Hi sharmadipesh123,

System Overview inherits from Quick System Overview which contains all of the operating system counters. This means that System Overview analyzes the Process related counters as well as operating system counters such as LogicalDisk, Processor, Network Interface, and so on.

I recommend exporting a Performance counter data collector template from the PAL tool by selecting a threshold file and exporting it as a template. I explain how to do this in my blog post at http://blogs.technet.com/b/clint_huffman/archive/2008/09/02/how-to-use-the-pal-tool-for-biztalk-performance-analysis.aspx.

According to the output you provided, there was only 2 samples collected in the 15 minutes that the log was collected. This is not enough samples to do a proper analysis. Use a sample interval that collects more often such as 15 seconds (default) or 1 minute. When PAL analyzes the counter log it will separate the counter log into 30 time slices, so PAL needs at least 30 samples in the log to analyze it. The analysis interval in PAL can be adjusted. Either allow the data collector to run longer or use a more frequent sampling interval.

Also, most of the threshold files need all instances of the counter such as \Processor(*)\% Processor Time, so avoid using specific instances such as _Total. Again, if you use the templates exported from the threshold files (using the Export to Perfmon Template button in the PAL Wizard), then that will maximize the analysis.

Thank you,