Retreive Logs from SQL Server

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Hi,

Is it possible in any way to specify connection string and load Counter Logs directly from the SQL Server Database?

Currently, we can only specify and load Log files on the Counter Log tab. It would be really handy feature if we could also specify connection string to the SQL Server and then retrieve logs out of that database.

Thanks,
Alen
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2013 at 4:46 AM
I started work on counter logs in SQL databases, but I haven't worked on it in a long time. I've been primarily occupied with writting the Windows Performance Analysis Field Guide book as a companion to the PAL tool.

Take a look at PAL.ps1 and you should see some of the work I've made towards it. It certainly isn't ready though.
Jul 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Hi,

I'm hijacking this thread to ask about the book. It sounds great! Any thoughts on when it would be available? Do you need any proofreaders? :)

Thanks.
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2013 at 5:32 AM
Hi sfslug,

Thanks for asking about the book. The book is coming along nicely. It's called the "Microsoft Windows Performance Analysis Field Guide: A practical approach to Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012". It is due to hit the market early next year. I'm writing it for all of my friends who need guidance on why their computer or their enterprise solution is slow.

Thank you for the offer, but I'm keeping the list of technical reviewers down to a handful of people. Are you an expert in an area of Windows performance analysis?