Multi Threaded use of PAL

May 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Edited May 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Hello,

When I use PAL with more than one thread configured in the Execute Tab it does not wait to complete processing the last counter object listed in the threshold xml file.

It does start analyzing the last counter but PAL just continues with Generating the HTML Report without waiting for the last counter to finish.
That counter is then also not listed in the report (obviously).

I have tried this with several .blg files from 32 and 64 bit systems.

It does work properly when PAL is running with only one thread.

PAL is version 2.3.4, but this issue was also present in the previous version (2.3.3).
Coordinator
May 16, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Ah, I never noticed this before. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will try to fix this.
Coordinator
May 16, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Thanks for reporting this bug. I fixed it in v2.3.5 and will be releasing it soon.
May 16, 2013 at 5:03 AM
Hello Clint,

Thanks for the quick reply and even quicker fix!

Kudo's for creating this awesome tool!

Regards,

John
May 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Edited May 17, 2013 at 5:53 AM
Hi Clint,

In multithreaded mode PAL (2.3.5) now seems to forget the last counter and it hangs after 6 %.
It does so with 4 and 2 threads, with one thread it completes normally.
My threshold file is 51 counters.
I also tried reinstalling PAL with no luck

John
Coordinator
Jun 6, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Sorry, this bug seems to come up only when using multi-threaded and when one of the analyses is disabled in a threshold file. I recently fixed this and will be in v2.3.6. In the meantime use single threaded or I can post the update here for testing if you want.
Jun 7, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Hi Clint,

Thanks a lot for great tool.
Could you please post or send me via e-mail update for running PAL in multi-threaded mode?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Michal
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I uploaded the updated PAL.ps1 and QuickSystemOverview.xml threshold files which contain the updates that I plan in v2.3.6. You can download them from my personal SkyDrive folder for now at:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E6360C54B48A891B!5119&authkey=!AIBjU6LZWU4Ggt0

With that said, I plan on releasing PAL 2.3.6 very soon. I'm excited to have finally implemented a Disk Overwhelmed and Physical Memory Overwhelmed analyses which have been the holy grail of Windows performance analysis. I've had a some of the industry leaders such as Jeff Stokes and Yong Rhee review the work and I've had approval from them. These analyses will take the complex "artful" analysis and turn them into simple green, yellow, red indicators.