Step by step guide to create threshold file

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Hello all. Is there an step by step guide that explains how to create a threshold file?

Thanks,

Guillermo

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2013 at 8:08 AM

There wasn't one until you asked. Many people have contacted me about it and I was dreading the amount of work it would take to document it, but I *finally* wrote a rather lengthy and overdue step-by-step article on how to create one on my blog at:

How to create a threshold file for the PAL tool
http://blogs.technet.com/b/clinth/archive/2013/01/08/how-to-create-a-threshold-file-for-the-pal-tool.aspx

Please let me know if you have any questions. You can reply here or ping me on Twitter @ClintH.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Good work, Clint.  I'm long overdue to update my VMware threshold templates for you - your guide is helpful.

Josh

Coordinator
Jan 23, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Hi Josh,

Thanks! I'm glad it helped. Thanks again for writing the VMWare threshold files and your article about it at:
http://vmtoday.com/scripts-free-tools/view-pal/

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Thanks for the guide Clint. I will write a threshold file for Dynamics CRM 2011, hopefully before the end of February and will share it with everyone.

Best regards,

Guillermo

Coordinator
Jan 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Excellent. We don't have one yet. It will be a nice addition. Thanks!

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Sounds great, Guillermo, with the Dynamics CRM 2011 threshold file. Would love to use it when it's done!
Sep 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM
tl;dr .. is it possible to import or convert a perfmon template to a PAL thresholds file? I don't understand why PAL requires a proprietary beast. I am [reluctantly] willing to do the conversion myself, but does a perfmon template have enough data to produce a functioning PAL threshold file if I tried?
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Hi stimpy77,

The XML schema used by PAL threshold files is very different from Performance Monitor data collector templates. This is because the PAL threshold files contains Powershell code and thresholds. With that said, I'm not sure why you would want to convert a data collector template to a PAL threshold file. You are concerned about the PAL tool having all of the counters of a given counter log in the report, then use the AllCounterStats feature in the PAL Wizard to have all counters in the log represented in the report.

If you want to collect all of the counters that a given PAL threshold file analyzes, then use the Export to Perfmon Template button in the PAL Wizard to generate a Performance Monitor counter log data collector template.

In any case, I am open to new ideas, I'm just trying to understand your needs.

Thank you,
-ClintH
Mar 12 at 10:30 AM
Hi All,

Is the Dynamics CRM 2011 threshold file already available?

Thanks