IIS Analysis

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:15 PM

First let me start by saying that I think the PAL tool is fantastic. 

I've started collecting my Performance Log files in BLG format, as I read this was the preferred format.  So the Log files that I am collecting are based on some experimentation on my part.  I would collect a log then run it through PAL and see what missing counters come up then adjust the log file.  You get the picture.

What is the best method to collect the log file information?  I'm collecting one log file per day for each of the following areas: CPU, Memory, Disk and Web.  The web is by far the largest log file as it contains the .NET CLR Objects, the ASP.NET, ASP.NET 1.1 and ASP.NET 2.0 objects. 

When I try to run the PAL program it hangs on the Relog function where it combines the log files.  This part I have let run for hours with no data coming out.  When the log files are small (5 minute sample) they combine and display results so I know that the logs I am collecting work and I can run PAL on the individual log files. 

I have two questions:
1. Where can I find out exactly which performance logs I should be collecting for each of the filter types or should I not worry about it and collect as much information as possible.
2. Am I using the program correctly, should I be collecting the logs in individual files or should I be collecting them in one single log file to cut down on the relog processing time?

Thanks for any help you can provide
George

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2008 at 1:33 AM
Hi George,

You can export Perfmon log templates from the PAL threshold files by selecting a threshold file and clicking the Export button. The HTM file that it creates can then be used as a perfmon log template in Perfmon. This allows you to take full advantage of all of the analyses in the threshold file. Also, you can click Edit on a threshold file to see what counters are used in each of the analyses.

1. Where can I find out exactly which performance logs I should be collecting for each of the filter types or should I not worry about it and collect as much information as possible.
=> Use the Export button under the threshold files to create a perfmon log template, then use the template to create perfmon logs.
2. Am I using the program correctly, should I be collecting the logs in individual files or should I be collecting them in one single log file to cut down on the relog processing time?
=> It's best to collect the logs on individual servers, then analyzing each BLG file individually. This is what PAL was designed to do. Relog.exe just doesn't seem to do a good job with merging log files, so I discourage trying to use it. In PAL v2.0, I am not using relog any more and querying the data directly from the BLG now using PowerShell. Also, in the PAL installation folder there is a directly which contains perfmon scripts. In there is a CreateAndStartPerfmonlogs.vbs script which can be used to create perfmon logs locally on each respective remote server - meaning you run the script on a workstation and the script will create perfmon logs on many servers and have each server log locally. You use the syntax "CScript CreateAndStartPerfmonLogs.vbs /?" to get the syntax on how to use it. Also, there are a few other scripts that help manage the logs. In later versions of PAL, I'm hoping to integrate the perfmon log collections and status updates in PAL, but that's a long way off.
Dec 18, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Great, thanks for the reply.  I look forward to seeing 2.0.