Install Issue - Message

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I get the message below when trying to install PAL on Windows7?

Windows Installer

This installation package could not be opened.  Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM

- Did you download the latest install from CodePlex? 
- Does the same install work on a different machine? (If you don't have a different machine you can try, then you can try running it on your XP mode VM that comes with Windows 7)
- Are you trying to run the install from a network drive or UNC path or is it on your local disk?
- Is the install located in a folder which your Windows account doesn't have permissions to?
- What happens when you do: "Run as Administrator"? 
- Could any anti-virus be blocking the install from getting executed?

I would assume the install package installs the necessary pre-requisite programs instead of just shutting down like this, but perhaps you can check the pre-requisites to see if installing them separately help.

Just my two cents, here...

Good luck!  

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Most likely you are on a 32-bit version of Windows 7. The default package for PAL is the 64-bit version. Go to the Downloads tab of the PAL project and look the latest version of PAL zip file with x86 (32-bit) in the name, then install that one. Please keep in mind that the 32-bit version of PAL is limited to 2 GB of virtual address space (this is true for nearly all 32-bit applications) regardless of the physical RAM or paging files. PAL is very memory and processor intensive, so you might need to upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows assuming your computer hardware can support it. 64-bit applications get 8 TB of virtual address space. Virtual address space is a "fake" memory environment allowing applications to "think" they have a lot of memory.