Number of Samples for PAL to work

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

How many samples do you need for PAL to work?  And what does the term samples mean?  I am running Performance Montior each hour for 16 hours gathering for 5 minute intervals. Will that give me enough samples?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Sample is the number of values collected for a given counter instance. We often refer to it as the "collection interval". It is the collection interval of the data collector.

PAL analyzes the log in time slices which I call an "analysis interval". This is different than the collection interval. The analysis interval is size of the time slices. By default, PAL will divide the log into 30 time slices. This means that a 30 hour log will have 1 hour time slices and a 30 minute log will have 1 minute time slices. Statistics are generated for each time slice (min, max, avg, and trend), so each time slice must have at least 1 sample (many samples in each time slice is preferred). The threshold are applied to the stats of each time slice.

I hope this explanation helps.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Does that mean you are doing averages of averages? Youch!

Thanks!
Ken

Coordinator
Sep 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

No. Assuming each time slice has more than 1 counter value (the collected values from the log), I calculate the minimum, average, and maximum of the values that are within the time range of the time slice.