issue on adding all performance counter of Win2K8R2

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

PAL is really grate tools to generate report, I do add all windows performance counter then level them to PAL.

For Windows 2003, adding all counters is easy, but I met trouble on Win 2K8 R2. It is hard to chose all of them, ctrl+A does not work, Ctrl+mouse left works but over 100 clicks needed, then I try shift+ top then button, YES! looks all of them are moved into right pane?No, what I found randomly miss some counters this way! Is it the MS bug?

OK, I clicks everything and done for one server, then export template for other servers. The new problem is for SQL server, some SQL counters are based on instance name, the export--import do not work for MS-SQL counter. 

I am pain again.

Anyone has idea to capture all counters without  100 of clicks? Appreciated in advance.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Hmmm......

Do you really want all of the counters on a system??

Do you understand all of them and what they are and what they do?

Do you understand how much resource you use when the system has to collect all of those counters?? You didn't mention at what level of recording you were doing, but if it's at a small scale like 10 or 15 seconds (hopefulyl not) you are actually affecting your system collecting all of those counters :-).

You problem is a similar that one I have in Visual Studio with Web tests and load tests. The window for the recorded url's has hundreds of url's with attached headers under those little close/open +/- boxes. Have to open each one, not control-A type thing will work. One idea that a fellow engineer has done is to use a macro tool that can repeatedly do things......

You also might want to try the one of the WIndows Forums that covers the tools such as perfmon. They did have one specifically for that, but it has been closed and archived (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/perfctr/threads).

Thanks!

Ken

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Thanks Kabaker55. Yes, I do not know everything of counters, that's one of reason I like PAL analysis. Marco is good idea and I will try AutoIT, one recorded script+one loop should be good enough. sometimes, lazy makes improvement. 

When the destination is PAL, in general I put 10 minutes as interval. To be honest, I tried 10 seconds all counters, and it makes 2GB data for 10+ mintues

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Keep in mind that the analysis interval is very different from the collection interval. The analysis interval determine the size of the time slices. By default, AUTO will divide the log into 30 time slices, so a 30 hour log will have 1 hour time slices and a 30 minute log will have 1 minute time slices. PAL gets all of the values for each time slice and create statistics for them such as min, avg, max, and trend. if you make the analysis interval the same as the collection interval, then it will force PAL to make each value in the log a statistic where min, avg, and max will be the same value. The thresholds in PAL are ran against all each of the time slices, so yes, this can produce a lot of data. :-)

Regarding named instances of SQL Server, I added a feature in PAL that when SQL counters are detected in the threshold file, then I prompt for a series of named instances that you want to put into the perfmon log template. This should make it easy to gather counters of SQL named instances.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Hmmm... I don't advise adding all the Windows Perf counters. It will have an impact as it increases your IOPS and processing time if you added all of them.

I wrote and uses this powershell cmdlet to help add counters that are from PAL template, you might want to give it a try.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Configure-PerformanceMonito-be5f7c02

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Yes, of course we don't want to collect all performance counters - only the ones that are needed to solve the problem.

Wow! That is a long PowerShell script. I'll give it a try. Thanks for writing it!