Has PAL been tested with Powershell 3.0 yet?

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Subject says it all....

Thanks!

Ken

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Not yet. Jeffrey Snover (creator of PowerShell) has been asking me the same thing. :-)

I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 8, so I will be giving this a try soon.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I upgraded my Win2K8 server with PoSh v3.0 and am running PAL v2.3.2 with it just fine.  Although, I am looking into automating PAL into get the .blg files out of .cab files.  The Win2k8 server seems to compress the .blg files for you at the end of the week to save space.  That is fine, but I have to unpack them for PAL to read the .blg files.

I was actually trying to get PoSh to do this and add it into the script.

Coordinator
Sep 26, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Thanks, SparksFlyn!

Agreed. I am running 64-bit Windows 8 and PAL installed and is running fine on PowerShell 3.0. With that said, the installation threw an error about not being a trusted application or something like that. Once I choose to install anyway, it installed fine.

I don't know much about why Windows Server would compress the counter logs into CAB files, but sounds interesting.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM

There seems to be something about the size of the file that Windows ends up creating the cab file. When I do short benchmark runs that create smaller files, they stay as blg's. however when I stop a counter session that has been running for a while, it creates a cab. Haven't looked into what the boundary is though....

BTW, Powershell 3 looks cool! Had to downgrade my version back to 2 temporarly as I found one of our deployment scripts doesn't work correctly with 3.

Thanks!
Ken