Changing the chart type

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Looking at the Microsoft Chart Controls I noticed that it will do BoxPlots. I then went looking for where in the PAL project the SeriesChartType was used with Line in order to change it and get Boxplots instead of lines. Found two places it exists (not in the VB code though) in PAL.ps1 and PALAnalyze.ps1.

I chaned them both like this:

#// $SeriesOfCounterValues.ChartType = [System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting.SeriesChartType]"Line"
        $SeriesOfCounterValues.ChartType = [System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting.SeriesChartType]"BoxPlot"

Yes, I still get lines instead of boxplots. I did this in the installed version down in Program files\PAL\PAL.

Is there anywhere else that needs to be modified??

Thanks!

Ken

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Figured this out. That is the correct way to do it, and it works. The downside is it creates a boxplot for every timeslice instead of the whole series of data points. Need to look into fixing that....

Thanks!

Ken

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Ah, you are very resourceful to find those lines of code. Great job!

I have been dabbling with that line with the hopes of creating some 100PercentArea charts for some of the SQL Server counter analysis.

I have no idea what a BoxPlot series is, but I'm willing to work with you on it.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Boxplots are a very succinct way to show the distribution of a data set. Here’s a simple but excellent explanation of them: http://stattrek.com/statistics/charts/boxplot.aspx. What PAL needs is a way to use the whole data set instead of doing it in slices…..

Thanks!
Ken

Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:41 AM
To: Ken Baker
Subject: Re: Changing the chart type [PAL:390473]

Ah, you are very resourceful to find those lines of code. Great job!

I have been dabbling with that line with the hopes of creating some 100PercentArea charts for some of the SQL Server counter analysis.

I have no idea what a BoxPlot series is, but I'm willing to work with you on it.