Is there an option to use a database with the PAL program?

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:12 PM

It appears reading Pal.ps1 that there is the ability to set up database connectivity. Is this there in order to create a database of data from the perfmon logs? Or to allow for storing PAL results?

I often use PAL to analyze data from load testing, and would be interested in the idea of pointing PAL at the DB with the counters etc in it and then let it analyze directly, rather then exporting and converting it to PAL usable csv files.

Thanks!

Ken

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Hi Kabaker55,

Wow! You really did look at the code. :-)

Performance Monitor has the ability to write to counter logs to a database, so late last year I was working on adding code that would allow PAL to analyze those logs. I never finished it though because other bugs and features are taking priority over this. I might still consider adding the feature depending on the need for it.

Keep in mind that you can always use Relog.exe (part of the operating system) to convert a binary (*.blg) log to a SQL Server table.

I am trying to avoid the need to use a SQL Server database for PAL functionality. If I took on a depenency of SQL Server, then that would make the tool more difficult to install. I still prefer a light and quick installation.