How do I identify missing counters?

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:28 PM
Currently if one of the perfmon counters that PAL analyzes is missing it prints in the cmd window a line about it.  With the PAL value added scripts and the text files, its pretty easy to capture all of the counters correctly, but if there was one missing, how would you tell by looking at the report that a section was missing? 

Is there some way to include the list of missing counters in the HTML report?
Oct 1, 2008 at 10:32 PM
This is what the PAL.log is for. In any case, I'm open to this idea. What did you have in mind in how this information is presented?
Oct 24, 2008 at 6:13 PM
I don't know that there needs to be anything fancy, perhaps just a section at the bottom of the html report that listed missing counters.  "The following counter(s) were not found in the perfmon log file:"

At the company that I work for, we've been running these reports for a while, and against a variety of differnet machines.  The permissions to set counter collection in different environments is spread amongst the different groups, and while they've said that they've set all the counters we've asked for (which bear a striking resemblence to the ones used by PAL), there are always new machines being added to the web farm that seem to be missing a few of them.

Currently we generate and then archive the PAL reports, and we could start archiving the pal.log files as well, but it seems like an extra step to look through the .log file.  If it's not possible to add the section to the html report, is it possible to change the PAl Wizard to place the .log file in the same directory as the denerated report?
Oct 25, 2008 at 8:15 AM
Okay, this is relatively easy to implement this feature (missing counters section in the report). How soon would you like this? I'm working hard on PAL v2.0 and would rather spend the time adding this feature to it versus going back to v1.3. 
Oct 27, 2008 at 9:11 PM
I'm fine with waiting for v2.0.  Thanks!