Exception calling "Join" with "2" argument(s): "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: value"

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Hello, 

Any thoughts on how to workaround this?  I had to copy the powershell.exe and relog.exe into my PAL install folder just to get this far.

PAL v2.2.1 (http://www.codeplex.com/PAL)Written by: Clint Huffman (clinth@microsoft.com) and other contributors.Last Modified: 03/21/2012 14:09:24The information and actions by this tool is provided "as is" and is intended for information purposes only. The authors and contributors of this tool take no responsibility for damages or losses incurred by use of this tool.
Your locale is set to: English (United States)SCRIPT ARGUMENTS:-Log C:\Users\dwade\Desktop\Nextgenroot Perfmon Log_000007.blg-ThresholdFile C:\Users\dwade\PAL\SystemOverview.xml-Interval AUTO-OutputDir [My Documents]\PAL Reports-IsOutputHtml True-HtmlOutputFileName [LogFileName]_PAL_ANALYSIS_[DateTimeStamp].htm-AllCounterStats False-IsOutputXml False-XmlOutputFileName [LogFileName]_PAL_ANALYSIS_[DateTimeStamp].xml-BeginTime-EndTime

Creating session working directory...Creating directory "C:\Users\dwade\AppData\Local\Temp\{6a0c610f-a2aa-462a-a1e2-91ce0077d02c}"Creating file "C:\Users\dwade\Documents\PAL Reports\Nextgenroot_Perfmon_Log_000007_PAL_ANALYSIS_2012-04-06_16-07-43.htm"Creating directory "C:\Users\dwade\Documents\PAL Reports\Nextgenroot_Perfmon_Log_000007_PAL_ANALYSIS_2012-04-06_16-07-43\"
Threshold File Load History:C:\Users\dwade\PAL\SystemOverview.xmlQuickSystemOverview.xml
Generating the counter list to filter on...DoneRemoving duplicate counter expressions from counter list...Done
relog.exe "C:\Users\dwade\Desktop\Nextgenroot Perfmon Log_000007.blg" -cf "C:\Users\dwade\AppData\Local\Temp\{6a0c610f-a2aa-462a-a1e2-91ce0077d02c}\CounterListFilter.txt" -f csv -o "C:\Users\dwade\AppData\Local\Temp\{6a0c610f-a2aa-462a-a1e2-91ce0077d02c}\_FilteredPerfmonLog.csv" -y

WARNING: Please post errors or problems with this tool to the PAL web sitelocated at http://www.codeplex.com/PAL with the following error message and abrief description of what you were trying to do. Thank you.

Exception calling "Join" with "2" argument(s): "Value cannot be null.Parameter name: value"At C:\Users\dwade\PAL\PAL.ps1:814 char:49+     $sRelogOutputAsSingleString = [string]::join <<<< ("", $RelogOutput)    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordE   xception    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Ok, so I was partially able to answer my own question with a easy enough workaround.

Simply convert the .blg file into a .csv format prior to running PAL/powershell script.

I have a gut feeling that my companies security and encryption software is causing some havoc with the process.  

Coordinator
Apr 10, 2012 at 3:56 AM

PAL uses Relog.exe which is part of the operating system to convert the binary (BLG) log to a text (CSV) log, so that it can parse the data like as a text file. Try running the Relog.exe command on your own outside of PAL to see if that helps narrow down the security problem. Please continue to collect counter logs in BLG format - it is a much better format for collection and reduces the risk of data loss.

May 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I am having the same issue.  If I run the relog command manually and then use the csv file as input to the PAL UI then I can create a report without incident.  If I use the BLG as input to PAL and let it run the relog command I get the error.  Very strange.