HTML generated don't show charts

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:14 PM
Edited Jul 31, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Hi All,

Just wanted to share an issue I've come across when using the PAL Script.

I have developed an automatic process (scripting) of collecting performance logs from servers and uploading to a central server.
On this central server I run every night another script that uses those performance logs and generates the html pages with charts.
One issue has come up:
When using long server names, when writing the HTML page the folder for each server is truncated to 8.3 names (e.g. \SERVER~1\...)
When opening the HTML page directly from the browser (File://....) I can see correctly the pics ... but when opening the same page from a web server (http://localhost/...) those same pics don't show.
That is due to the security restriction of IIS to access 8.3 names on NTFS partitions.

The Solution I found to have PAL generating HTML pages that can be viewed on the company intranet was to disable this compatibility feature (8.3 names) of NTFS.
For that I used the command:

fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3  1

Problem solved!

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Very nice! Thank you for sharing this.

Also, in the latest release (v1.3), I changed the images to not use 8.3 file names, so this should help a number of problems with moving the files to new directories.

Unfortunately, when I try saving the HTML report as an MHT, the links in the TOC at the top of the report still point to the original location for some reason.