Importing Templates on Windows 2003 Server

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I've justed started using your tool. I figured out how to import perf mon templates on Windows 7. I did not see a way to do it in per mon on Windows 2003 Server. Is there a way to do that? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks,

Mike

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I haven't tested it on a Windows Server 2003 system in a long time, but the installer will not restrict installation. This means that you can install it on Windows Server 2003, but will need a lot more pre-requisites such as PowerShell v2.0, .NET Framework 3.5.1 SP1, and the Microsoft Chart Controls. Also, keep in mind that perfomance counter logs recorded on Windows Vista/2008 and later *cannot* be open or parsed on Windows XP/2003 systems. This is because the log file format *.BLG changed between operating systems. For full counter parsing and reliability, please run it on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Thanks for the response Clint. I am running PAL on Windows 7 without a problem. I only trying to setup appropriate performance monitors on Windows 2003 Server. The problem is I do not see a way to import the perfmon template created based on the treshholds in APL into perfmon on Windows 2003 Server. I can select the counters manually but I was hoping there is a way to make the import work. Based on what you said about the format changes and what I see in the UI, I suspect it's possible. However, I figured I would ask you to be sure.

Mike

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Hi Clint

I understand that performance counter logs recorded on Windows Vista/2008 and later "cannot" be open or parsed on WIndows XP/2003 Système, but can you confirme me that the performance counter logs recorded on WIndows XP/2003 Système CAN be open or parsed on Windows Vista/2008 and later system ?

Thank you for your help

JO

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM

JO,

I have no problem opening them on Windows 7.

Mike

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Yes, on Windows 7, run the PAL Wizard and go to the Thresholds tab. There select the threshold that you want to export to a Windows Server 2003 computer. Export the threshold to the Windows Server 2003 format (*.htm) and save it. Copy the file to the Windows Server 2003 computer. Run Performance Monitor and import the counter log template. Windows 7 is able to read counter logs from Windows Server 2008 R2 and earlier.

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Yes, Windows 7 can open counter logs from earlier operating systems like Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.