SQL Named Instances

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I am new to PAL and so far have found it very useful. We are planning the VitalSigns class for next month so I am trying to get some experience with PAL so I can ask better questions in the class. Currently I am working with a performance problem on a SQL server. I created the template from the SQL thresholds and imported it but it tells me that I must add the SQL Named Instances. How do I do that? Is there somplace where there is a discussion that gives more information about this?  My understanding of SQL is pretty minimal and I searched a little but didn't see anything that made sense.

Thanks

Roger

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Hi Roger,

I'm very happy to hear you will be attending the Vital Signs workshop. My team and I recently rewrote the workshop and it is the basis of my upcoming "Performance Monitoring Windows 8 and Windows Server 8" book. :-)

Named instances of SQL are multiple installations of the SQL Server software on the same computer. All of the counters related to the named instance are uniquely named, so there is no way to create a template that is generic for them all. Soon, I plan on allowing users to name a named instance when exporting the counter log template. In the meantime, you need to import the counter log template into a Data Collector Set in Performance Monitor on Windows and when you get to the counters dialog box, add the SQL named instance counters which typically look like "\MSSQL$UniqueName:Access Methods(*)\*" where UniqueName is the name of the named instance. PAL is already aware of named instances of SQL when it processes the counter log.

I hope you enjoy the class! :-)

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Clint,

Thanks for the response. After I import the template, I don’t see any default named instances. In fact, if I go to the SQL Server:Access Methods object, there is not even an option to select an instance (it is greyed out) This is SQL 2005 and a Windows 2003 server. I poked around a bit and did find instances under the SQLServerDatabases object. I included all of the counters for each of unique instances but I noticed that the default instances such as Master (I am assuming that is one of the defaults) were not included anywhere. In fact the profile/template did not include any counters from the SQLServerDatabases object Does that sound right?

I guess I really do need the class J

Thanks again

Roger