Core

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Is there directions for using this on core? I am trying to use the Perfmon template file that i export to an xml file then use the logman import but i always get the error  "Error: The system cannot find the file specified." I can only make logman work if i use my own xml file that i create from perfmon 

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Great question, but I don't know. Sorry.

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I did some copy pasting of the xml files to make it work. I created my own xml then copied the "<Counter>" from the one created by PAL and was able to run it under core that way. I think this would be a pretty common thing to do for hyper-v servers and since you guys have a threshold file specifically for "Win2008 R2 SP1 Hyper-V" If i can do anything to help let me know.

I basically have 6 core boxes running hyper-v and i just wanted to make sure they are running in top shape.

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM

The XML files that ship with PAL are for the use of PAL only. Did you do a perfmon template export from the PAL tool? In the PAL Wizard, go to the Thresholds tab, select the threshold file, then export it to a perfmon log template in Logman (*.txt) format. Once you do that, you should be able to use Logman with the -cf option to create a data collector set with the counters from the threshold file. I assumed that this is what you did already, but just making sure because they should work. Thank you.

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Oh man i didnt see that option before. I did some copy pasting from xml to xml to make it work.

First glance it looks like that is what i needed.