No. of processors (Physical & Virtual) ?

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:48 PM
Hi Clint,

I have a question about the number of processors (physical & virtual) variable question. Basically I'm not sure if I am answering it correctly.

For example:

Server with 2 x quadcore CPU's (8 cores), This machine then runs several virtual machines, such as exchange with ONE CPU for instance. After capturing the log file for this exchange server & running PAL, I have only been entering one CPU to answer the question. Is this correct?

Great tool by the way! I appreciate all the time & effort that must have gone into it & your choice to go open source. :)
Coordinator
May 8, 2008 at 4:23 AM
Correct. You want to answer with the number of CPUs that the computer has when you look at it in Task Manager.
Thanks for the feedback. :-)
Jan 11, 2010 at 10:59 AM
Edited Jan 11, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Just for further clarification, are the following examples correct interpretations of this?

A) Physical Single Intel Core2 Duo (shows in Task Manager as 2 CPU graphs) should be 2 CPUs.

B) VM running as Single Dual Core AMD Opteron (but shows up in Task Manager as only single CPU even with view "One Graph Per CPU") should be 1 CPU.

I'm interpreting this as "use the number of GRAPHS shown in Task Manager" (when using one graph per CPU). Is that correct?

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Yes, that is correct. The number of processors variable is used in the Context Switches/sec threshold which is based on how many logical processors that the operating system has.