Hyper-V on Win 2003 x64

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Can I use the Hyper-V template  for Win 2003 and get accurate results?  Its pretty specific in the description (Win 2008 R2 SP1).   If I can't use this are there any recommendations on counters or tools I can use to analyze Hyper-V on Win 2003?  Once I get accesss to the environment later this week I was going to manually check all the counters in the 2008 template to see if they exist on 2003 and if not find a similar one if possible.  Generate a perf log, and then manually go through the numbers.  It would be nice if I could get clarification and avoid the manual work.

FYI: I was just asked to analyze a Windows 2003 environment as part of a performance engagement.  I'm a unix guy so I'm out of my element here.  I spent the last week researching open source tools to help me with this task and just found PAL.  Clint, your tool is more then impressive, and has made this engagment go from painful to fun.  Thank you!!

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2011 at 3:38 AM

Hi ppresto,

Windows Server 2003 does not have a Hyper-V role, so the Hyper-V counters don't apply to it. Windows Server 2003 can run Microsoft Virtual Server, but that is a bit different and I'm not aware of any counters for it. In any case, there is no problem with running the Hyper-V template because the Hyper-V related counters in the template will be ignored because they don't match counters in the counter log.

The System Overview (default) threshold file should be all you need. Use it for the host and the guest computers as well. I treat guest VMs the same as any other Windows computers each needing their own counter log.

I spoke at Microsoft Tech Ed 2010 on Hyper-V Performance Tips. I'm sure the video of it is out there somewhere.

I'm glad the tool has helped. It has certainly helped me out a lot as well. :-)

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Thank you for the response Clint.  Excellent presentation on HyperV R2 at the Microsoft Tech Ed 2010!

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2010/VIR315