Using PAL to access other servers

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Hi,

I am just wondering if PAL has a feature or will add this feature in with future version. But it would be nice to install PAL on the workstation and allow to collect the perfmon stats on a server or servers instead of having to install PAL on each server. 

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2011 at 10:42 PM

PAL is not required on the target server. The idea is to capture a counter log from each target server, then copy the counter log to your workstation where PAL is installed and analyze the logs there. I wrote it so that when a customer sent me a counter log, then I would analyze it on my laptop using PAL.

In regards to PAL doing the data collection, this is something that I've been wanting to put into the tool for a long time, but just haven't had the time to do it yet. In the meantime, use Logman.exe (part of the operating system) to create counter logs on each of the target servers. I recommend collecting the counter logs locally on the target server because collecting remote counters has high network overhead, time zone issues, and typically has frequent gaps in the data. Use Logman to create local counter logs on each target server.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Thanks for the info Clint.